Samuel Oldknow, a new perspective
Purchase an eBook version of this publication
We know Samuel Oldknow as one of the key figures in the early part of the Industrial Revolution - an innovator and an organiser who dominated the market for muslin before he was thirty. However, he was much more than that. A true product of the Enlightenment, there were many sides to his life and career. As a businessman, as a builder, as an agriculturist and above all, as a community leader, he changed the face of Marple and Mellor for ever. This definitive study of Oldknow's life examines every aspect of this complex man and his legacy which is still with us today.
Author: Hilary Atkinson
Published: Marple Local History, December 2015.
A5 Booklet, paperback, 68 pages.
- Chapter 1 -Early days
- Chapter 2 - The entrepreneur
- Chapter 3 - The Manufacturer
- Chapter 4 - The Employer
- Chapter 5 - The enlightened industrialist
- Chapter 6 - The enterprising businessman
- Chapter 7 - The agriculturist
- Chapter 8 - The family man
- Chapter 9 - The community leader
- Chapter 10 - Friends and associates
- Chapter 11 - The private man
To purchase a hard copy of this publication use this link.